Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Magnificent Multnomahs


Magnificent Multnomahs, originally uploaded by mamakinznot.

I'm really loving this pattern. It's easy enough to be relaxing, yet have some interest when the fan & feather comes around. And working with Wollmeise for the first time is really a treat. I'm so glad that the first thing I make in this yarn is for my daughter. What Wollmeise is to yarn, my daughter is to people-the very best-, and she's my first. Every year at this time I get all teary eyed and bore her to tears with the entire story of how I'd been told I couldn't get pregnant. That there was no medical reason, but that it just happened that way sometimes. Since I'd tried for years & used everything the doctors could invent all to no avail, her arrival was the best thing I'd ever been blessed with in my life. My son gets the same story about his birth when his day nears. They tolerate me and my overflowing heart every year, God bless them. One day I hope they know the same joy they give me when they have children of their own. Then we can cry happy tears together.

In the meantime, I've been knitting away on some birthday gifts for my girl and the first one I finished is the Multnomah Shawl with Wollmeise Twin in Sabrina. It's a magnificent color and makes me think of being in a forest of evergreens; and somehow Claudia managed to dye fiber to bring that very combination of subtle colorways to perfection. I made a mosaic of the Multnomah and my quality control Kitty on the job. This one is much smaller than the first one I made. I used one skein of DIC Knitosophy for the garter and one for the fan and feather section so it turned out quite large, and I really liked it since it would go with anything. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the first thing made jsut for me.mwahahaha

Now I've started my first Clapotis. I'm making it in Madelinetosh's worsted in Toast and I love the color variations and the feel of the yarn. It looked a bit small to me for a wrap so I added 2 repeats on the increase section...now that I've started dropping stitches, I'm realizing the genius of the pattern and how much larger it's going to get. So my next concern is having enough yarn...it's always something. This one is going to be a gift for my daughter's birthday too. I should have taken out stock in these yarn companies-I could have retired in a week.

So, today I give you the photo mosaic of the Sabrina Multnomah....and the quality control manager here.

No comments:

Post a Comment